2009: Frances Ya-Chu Cowhig
DAVID HARE SELECTS FRANCES YA-CHU COWHIG'S LIDLESS
Frances was born in Philadelphia, and raised in Northern Virginia, Okinawa, Taipei and Beijing. She is a graduate of Brown University, where she studied playwriting with Pulitzer Prize winner Paula Vogel. Frances also holds an MFA from the James Michener Center for Writers at the University of Texas, Austin.
Lidless is a provocative imagining of the reunion, years later, of a Guantanamo detainee and the female interrogator who tortured him.
After winning the Yale Drama Series, Lidless had the following workshops and productions:
- 2010 workshop at Seattle Rep, Seattle, WA
- 2010 festival production by the Contemporary American Theater Festival, Shepherdstown, WV
- 2010 European premiere by the High Tide Festival and The Underbelly, Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2011 regional premiere by InterAct Theatre, Philadelphia, PA
- 2011 West End premiere by High Tide Productions and Trafalager Studios, London, UK
- 2011 New York premiere by Page 73 Productions, New York, NY
- 2012 Arizona premiere by Borderlands Theatre, Tucson, AZ
For more about Frances, visit: francesyachucowhig.com