2010: Virginia Grise
DAVID HARE SELECTS VIRGINIA GRISE'S blu
Virginia, a native of San Antonio, is a Chicana cultural worker, writer, performer, and teacher. She received her MFA from the California Institute of the Arts. Her work has been performed internationally, at venues including the Jose Marti Catedra in Havana, Cuba and The University of Butare in Rwanda, Africa.
In blu, memory, history and culture collide with rooftop dreams as a Mexican American family deals with the loss of their oldest son in Iraq. blu challenges us to try and imagine a time before war.
After winning the Yale Drama Series, blu had the following readings and productions:
- 2010 reading at Victory Gardens Theater, Chicago, IL
- 2011 reading at the Los Angeles Theater Center, Los Angeles, CA
- 2011 American premiere, production by Company of Angels, Los Angeles, CA
- 2011 production by Rainbow Theater, University of Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
- 2011 reading by Page 22, New York, NY
- 2012 production, University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
- 2012 reading at the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center, San Antonio, TX
For more about Virginia, visit: virginiagrise.com